Rights and Responsibilities as a Tenant

Blog imgEven before you start searching for a property to rent, it’s important to understand the legal aspects of being a tenant.



When you become a tenant, you take on certain responsibilities in exchange for certain rights. Your tenancy agreement will typically be 4-5 pages long and very detailed. It lists your responsibilities so read it carefully. As a minimum, it will show:.

  • The names of the landlord and tenant
  • How much the rent and deposit is
  • When the rent will be reviewed
  • The address for the landlord or agent who will be looking after the property.

The main things you must do are as follows:

  • Pay rent on time – normally one month in advance
  • Pay other bills. In most long-term lets, you’ll be paying council tax, utilities (including water), TV licence and telephone charges
  • Respect neighbours – so no making noise, putting rubbish in the wrong place or obstructing common areas
  • Look after the property. After that, you may find you are dealing directly with a landlord who will look after the management. However, most landlords tend to leave the management up to the letting agent.
  • The good news is that you are not expected to maintain the building – that’s the landlord’s job. But you should behave in such a way that the building is properly cared for.
  • The agent’s job might be to market the property, arrange signing of agreements and payment of the first month’s rent and deposit.

For example, you must:

  • Tell your landlord if you are going away for longer than 14 days – because this will affect his/her insurance policy
  • Keep the property secure at all times – so lock it when you go out and don’t give keys to anyone else
  • Tell your landlord when things need fixing to avoid bigger problems later – e.g. a leaking pipe, if not maintained, could make a ceiling collapse
  • Do basic maintenance – e.g. change light bulbs and smoke alarm batteries.
  • Obviously, you must not engage in any illegal activity at the property and nor can you:
  • Alter the property in any way, including hanging anything on the walls or re-decorating without written permission from your landlord
  • Use the property as a business
  • Sub-let….unless, of course, the landlord says you can.

Deposits and inventories

In most cases, you’ll be asked to pay a deposit. Get a receipt for it and carry out checks to make sure you are fully satisfied that your deposit is protected by a Tenancy Deposit Protection Scheme.

The deposit will usually be equal to around four weeks’ rent. You pay it to the landlord or agent and they can keep some or all of it if you cause damage to the property (beyond fair wear and tear)

If you have an Assured Shorthold Tenancy in England and Wales, which started on or after 6th April 2007 where a deposit was taken, that deposit must be protected in one of the government approved Tenancy Deposit Protection Schemes (TDP).

The deposit is administered by the scheme throughout the tenancy and will be returned in full shortly after the end of the tenancy, providing the property is returned in the same condition as you found it at the start of the tenancy. Usually, no interest is paid on the deposit.

If, at the end of the tenancy you feel that your deposit has been withheld unfairly, the organiser of the TDS can step in and sort out disputes with your landlord.

For the latest information on Tenancy Deposit Protection Schemes, visit the Direct Gov website.

Your rights as a tenant

You have a right to quiet enjoyment of the property and your landlord must give at least 24 hours notice if they want access (except in an emergency). Most lettings agents inspect a property quarterly to check everything is in order.

The landlord must also:

  • Insure the property (not including contents)
  • Look after and pay for the cost of repairs to the structure and exterior, as well as electrical, heating, hot water and sanitary installations
  • Return the deposit at the end of tenancy in full, or set out why deductions have been made from it
  • Only evict with a court order
  • Ensure all soft furnishings comply with the Furniture and Furnishings (Fire) Safety Regulations 1988 and are fire safety compliant. Look for the fire safety label on all furnishings
  • Ensure that gas appliances, fittings and flues are safe for your use and that installation, maintenance and annual safety checks are carried out by a Corgi registered gas installer. They must give you a certificate called a CP12 showing everything is safe
  • Ensure that electrics are safe, with operating instructions and safety notices supplied, before a letting starts
  • ‘reasonable adjustments’ to accommodate tenants with disabilities.

Your landlord cannot:

  • Change locks without telling you or giving you a new set of keys
  • Cut off utilities
  • Interfere with your mail
  • Verbally or physically threaten you
  • Neglect the property.All places built after June 1992 and all HMOS must have mains wired smoke detectors on each floor and licensable HMOS must have a full electric inspection done every five years.
  • A good general guide to all the regulations can be found here.
  • Certain shared houses (called Houses in Multiple Occupation or HMOs) have to be licensed under special rules which also require that the property meets certain extra fire and electrical safety standards.

Before you sign the tenancy agreements, you should:

  • Make sure you have visited the property and met the letting agent/landlord
  • Before you hand over any money to anyone make sure you have carried out due diligence to protect yourself against fraud
  • Carry out checks to make sure you are fully satisfied that your deposit is protected by a Tenancy Deposit Protection Scheme
  • Make sure you have seen the gas safety certificate and instructions for all electrical items
  • Make sure you have seen the Energy Performance Certificate (EPC)
  • Be satisfied that all the furniture is safe
  • Have keys for all exit doors
  • Check the inventory carefully and note anything that has been missed or is incorrect – please re-read our section on ‘Deposits and Inventories’ carefully.


​If you would like some assistance to find your perfect property/sell or let your property please contact Right Estate Agents on 0845 026 8527 or visit our website.

This entry was posted in Balsall Common, Blog, brixton, Bromsgrove, Coventry, Daventry, Droitwich & Worcester, Erdington, Evesham, Great Barr, Kingstanding, Knowle, Knowle & Solihull, lettings news, News, Olton & Yardley, Plymouth, Redditch, rickmansworth, Rugby, Selling Home, Sheldon and Yardley, Shirley and Wythall, Solihull, South Birmingham, Stourbridge, Studley & Alcester, Tamworth, Telford, Walsall, Welwyn Garden City. Bookmark the permalink.